These “About Me” posts or pages are a hard thing to create.
You’d think for a writer, it would be easy to describe myself.
I write about others — people, places, things. When it comes to me, I like hiding behind my words.
But, I know I love reading about other people when I visit their websites, so it’s only fair to reciprocate.
So, here are 10 things about me to help you get to know a little about how my brain works. Hopefully it makes sense. I’ll drop more of these lists in along the way to make things more interesting.
- Yes, I’m a real redhead. The color I have now may be (ahem) enhanced to hide the grey hairs I’ve earned in my nearly 46 years, but I am a natural ginger and have the temperament to match.
- I’ve been married for almost 21 years to the same man. I’m not trying to be too snarky about this, but if you look at my wedding party pictures, it tells not just a tale of our happy day, but the fact that many who celebrated with us are no longer together. I’m surprised my DH hasn’t given up on me and my craziness by now. I guess this means we’re in it for the long haul. 😉
- I have one foot in the door of an empty nest. My husband and I have a 19 y.0. daughter who’s finishing her first year old college. Our other daughter, age 15, is a high school freshman. A year filled with firsts. I just have no idea how we got to this point in our lives so quickly.
- In case I needed a reminder of how long it’s been since I was my kids’ age, my youngest pointed out the other day that it’s been 30 years since I last studied the same math she’s taking now. Like I needed a reminder of why I’m NOT the person to help with her homework. To be fair, I couldn’t do that crap when I was 15, either.
- I’ve held many jobs over the years: a student, teacher, retail office worker, legal secretary, journalist, mom, wife, freelancer. I’ve been a writer all my life, though. It’s the one common thread throughout my life.
- I am a Walt Disney World addict. I love going there, reading about it, writing about it, photographing it, listening to music from there and planning other people’s trips there. I have a problem. I admit it and I’m always looking for the next countdown until my return to my happy place!
- I was diagnosed with depression nearly 15 years ago. Not sure how long I had it before I got help. Help works only when you ask for it. I’m glad I did. It saved my life.
- I have a weight problem, which has led to other health issues. I’m getting help with that now, too. I’ve started on a long journey back out of that dark place I’ve been hiding within.
- My favorite food is Italian. Pizza, pasta, chicken parmesan, tiramisu. I will never give those up! Nope. Never.
- I love sarcasm. Yes, I use it as a defense mechanism sometimes, but mostly I use it to curb the brutal truth that I really want to blurt out sometimes. It takes the edge off, although I can let it get out of hand if I’m not careful.